Kährs and the environment
Ever since the start in 1857, Kährs has always tried to be a company that is good with the environment. Over the years, we have learnt to capture the beauty and expression of wood, combining good looks with cutting-edge floor technology to produce floors that are durable, stable and easy to install.
Kährs' long-term dedication to the environment has been internationally acknowledged. In 1993, we were the first wood floor manufacturer in the world to obtain ISO 9001 certification, and in 1997 we also achieved ISO 14001 certification.
FSC® and Fairtrade wood and Kährs
In 2011 Kährs was the first company in the world to support and purchase dual-labelled material from Chile that meets both FSC® and Fairtrade certification standards.
Our everyday environmental work:
• We put our hearts into the crafting of every wood floor, aiming for the highest quality in terms of both design and performance, for you and for generations to come.
• We only make wood floors – and wood is a renewable flooring material (a raw material that can be replaced within years).
• We only work with suppliers holding an FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) certificate, or with those who are able to demonstrate that they operate environmentally-aware timber procurement.
• We invented the modern wood floor in 1941. This multi-layer wood floor construction means that the raw material is used in the most effective way. This method proved instant popular and is now used in wood floor manufacturing worldwide.
• In 1984, we became the first flooring manufacturer in the world to have an entirely solvent-free production process.
• Kährs floors are installed using the Woodloc® method, producing tight, secure joints without the use of glue.
• We only use the best stains and finishes available.
• The surfaces of our floors are easy to clean and maintain, without the use of strong chemicals.